January 11, 2006

Transistion: Part Deux

Week Two, and I am finally starting to settle into the new gig. I have moved into my new office; set up the voice-mail and e-mail but can't find where they keep the stamps for the other mail.

Quick update for loyal readers and concerned family members:
I did NOT have a heart attack last week.

I have yet to get the ambulance bill, but that might do the trick. In all reality, my cardiovascular system is in good shape. My muscular structure, however, needs some tweaking.

The new job is presenting some new challenges as well as new opportunities. With each passing day, I am growing increasingly confident that I made a good decision.

The challenges: A normal schedule. Getting up at 6 a.m. on Wednesdays is foreign to me just like being home at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays. Having my own office (finally) is nice, but I feel cut-off.

Strategic communication is hard to define and strikes me as utterly subjective. Is strategy quantifiable? In the newspaper business, you had a tangible product to demonstrate the amount of your effort each week.

While the pace of the new job matches my style: straightforward, hectic and deadline driven, commuting to and from Portland each day is a drag . . . which reminds me that I'm going to finally fill out that EZ PASS application. Digging for coins while sipping coffee does not blend well with my new wardrobe, which is much more business casual than formal most of the time.

There are, however, advantages to working outside of the Biddeford area, not the least of which is you can go someplace different for lunch every day for months on end.

I miss the familiarity of seeing people I know every day and being part of downtown Biddeford's fabric, but it is amazing how many "locals" I bump into each day in Portland. I spent many years living in Portland (from the West End to the "Hill," and from Peaks Island to Riverton) and it amazes me how much has changed yet stayed the same.

I am looking forward to being a member of Biddeford's City Charter Review Commission. I missed the first meeting because of the impromptu trip to Waterville's hospital, and Ron Peaker was elected chair. I was told that Marc Lessard was the only other one running.

Who do you think I would have voted for? Lessard or Peaker? Hmmmm . . ..
I will end by saying that I look forward to any constructive suggestions about the charter. Post them here.

As for local politics, stay tuned because I'll have plenty to say. I just need a few more days to wrap up the transition process, so please be patient.

Who knows, if I keep working late maybe I'll end up moving in with Shawn and Joe in Old Orchard Beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy -

There is no doubt in my mind that you will be very successful in your new vocation - just as you will continue to be a good solid presence in Biddeford.
I look forward, with interest, to reading your blog - particularly as you write about Biddeford, your family and that yard!
Take care -

Jim

Anonymous said...

So are you getting more sleep or less now?? How many hours a night(or day)did you average as editor or the Courier? What job have you had in your life that was THE most demanding? And, is your demand for coffee greater now, or less than before? I really have always thought you should do a post on "What make Randy Seaver go". What is your brand of coffee? What is your rate of consumption? Nicotine? You've tried to eliminate that one, but stress won't let you nip that one. Yet. Sleep? Were you a guy who used to get 8 hours a night, and is now down to 4? A guy with a wife and 2 kids who is on the go for what it appears, 8 days a week, round the clock, must have some sort of solution for us, the masses. How do you do it? It's good to know you did not have a major medical situation.